ePIC sets up and maintains reliable joint services for registering, storing and resolving persistent identifiers based on handles for the research community. Besides the main services we offer
- a ePIC Site Info generator and
- a PID Demo tool
- a Data Type Registry (DTR) based on Cordra
Usually the most important services are the possibility to generate PIDs and to be sure that the PIDs are resolved for a long time period in a reliable and performant way. Here ePIC provides the following services to the scientific research community
- PID Service: Services to generate PIDs for digital objects.
- PID Resolution: Services to guarantuee a reliable resolution of the PIDs, issued by ePIC
- PID Replication: ePIC replicates the databases of handles to guarantee an all time availability of the PID resolution
- Global Handle Mirror Server: A mirror of the Global Handle Server in Europe
The software stack of the PID service is made available.
- PID Server Software: Maintenance of the server software to setup a PID-service
At the moment this software is distributed without any support. In case of interest service providers, that want to implement PID services under the umbrella of ePIC , can ask for assistence on a voluntary basis at the contact address.
Global Handle Registry Mirror
Additionally one of the ePIC partners, GWDG, runs a Global Handle Registry Mirror, such that also the resolution of the prefix responsibility can be assured in Europe even if other parts of the global network are temporarily not available.